Thursday, March 31, 2011

Easy Metal Floor Grating

I've seen a lot of people create cool looking floors with a material that is sometimes referred to as "Granny Grating." I've never used it because a long while back I found another material that came to me out of necessity (you know, the mother of all things). I was in the process of putting together my first Chimera (at left) for my Inquisitor and wanted a really detailed interior. Not wanting to buy anything else, I used bits that I already had at home. We were in the process of doing some home remodeling and remembered the sticky mesh tape that I used when working on the walls.

The tape is a natural for creating floors. It has an adhesive built into it. It has a very low profile (it's thin), not bulky like the Granny Grating looks to be. It's very easy to work with. Cuts easily, can be curved, bent, whatever needs to be done to fit into an area with very little effort. I have yet to run into any negatives for this material.

The two examples below are a scratch-built bastion that has the tape on the top floor and a ramp and walkway around a big, round containment-like thing (the Mechanicus makes lots of those). Though I haven't used it for this purpose, I bet this would also make a great material for creating fences.



...and, of course, let's not forget the star of the show. Mine's showing a little age, but you get the idea.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a fan of your blog, and as a scratch-builder with an eye out for alternative materials... this post in particular is a treat!
    I'll keep a look out for this stuff.

    ReplyDelete