Monday, May 2, 2011

Two Working Wrecks

Bad weather here in the South for half of the weekend usually means I would get to spend lots of time indoors playing with my little army men, but I had honey-do stuff that took up most of my Sunday afternoon. I did get to spend some time on two of my terrain pieces.

My wrecked speeder that I've mentioned in a couple of my previous posts was one of the projects. I want this piece to be an obstacle on the table. It's tall enough to block line of site and difficult enough terrain to be a hindrance to tanks. I've gotten my dirt in place, added some boulders, and scattered wreckage around. I sprayed a black base coat on Friday night and started painting on Sunday. We don't have any terrain or models that have much red, so I used red to make the wreck really stand out on the table. I want this to look like it recently wrecked, so I'm going to spend some time picking up the details in the cockpit and getting a good paintjob complete and then come back and add the damage (dirt and scratched paint). I'm also going to paint the ground last so I can cover up any stray red that shows up on my dirt areas.


The other item I worked on is my wrecked ork ship. This is built from the "found" item from this post. Unlike the speeder, I want this wreck to look like it's been there for a while, plus I want it to be a functional piece of terrain. I used pink insulation foam to build the flat rock areas (large enough for a small unit to stand on). My plan is to use a lot of grass flocking on the base and use tall grass to emphasize that this is an old wreck. I'm looking forward to painting the ship in orky colors and weathering it as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment